What is a Custom Field?
A custom field allows you to capture additional data for a guest, service, or an opportunity. You can create any custom field for services or guests from the Admin mode depending upon your business requirement and these fields will be exposed in the appointment book for front office to enter information for an appointment.
When do I need to use a Guest Custom Field?
You can create custom fields for guests to store specific information about your guests, such as whether the guest is allergic to chemicals or not, whether the guest is pregnant or not, and so on.
How do I Create a Guest Custom Field?
To create a custom field, perform the following steps:
- Click the Guest Fields option under Custom Fields in the Admin mode.
- Enter the Field name for the guest custom field.
Note: The field name is shown to guests in the webstore and mobile app.
- Enter the Description for the guest custom field.
Note: The description can be used for searching and for other administrators to understand what the field is about
- Choose a Field Type for the guest custom field.
Note: Choose the Label option if you want to create a label. Then in the Text field, multiple paragraphs can be entered along with bullet points (bullets points can be added using copy/paste). If the custom field type is Dropdown, select the list value from the dropdown. In this case, the list value needs to be first created by selecting the Lists option under Custom Fields in the Admin mode. Read the article 'Defining a Custom List' to know more about creating a custom list.
- Enter the Display Order for the field. The field display order will define the sequence in which the custom fields will be shown within a group, when it is displayed on the appointment book, webstore and mobile app.
- Enter the Group Name for the field, if it forms part of any group. Or enter a new group name.
Note: If a group name is not set, such fields will be shown first in webstore and mobile app which are then followed by groups . Also when a group name is typed existing group names will be auto suggested and a new group will be created automatically if it does not exist.
- Enter the Group Display order for the group. The display order will define the sequence in which the groups will be shown in the appointment book, webstore and mobile apps.
Note: Each guest custom field can be granularly configured depending on specific needs.
- Click the Print Data on Invoice check box if you wish the custom field information to be printed on the receipt.
- Click the Required checkbox if it is mandatory that the guest should enter information in the field.
Note: If this checkbox is selected the guest will not be able to submit the form in the webstore/mobile app unless the field is filled.
- Click the Allow guest to view checkbox, if you want the guest to view the field in the webstore and mobile apps.
Note: In case you use internal notes, you can use this option to hide the field from guests.
- Click the Allow guest to edit checkbox, if you want the guest to be able to edit the field in the webstore and mobile apps.
Note: If this checkbox is selected the Allow guest to view checkbox will be automatically selected.
- Select the Show this field on its own in a single row checkbox, if you want the field created to be shown in a single row with no other field next to it.
Note: We use a two-column layout to show most of the fields (other than labels and large text boxes) and the fields with this flag selected will be shown in a single column layout as seen below in the image.
- Click Add Field.
Note: This will result in the new field being added to the form, and then Preview can be clicked to view it. You cannot preview a field before adding it.
- Click Preview, to check how the custom field appears
Note: By clicking preview you can see how the form will appear to the front desk and not to the guest since some fields can be hidden from guest.
- Once custom fields are created, you can enter information for the guest custom fields from the Appointment book. To know more about how to enter information for a guest custom field from the Appointment book, read the article 'Entering Data for Guest Custom Fields'.
Editing a Guest Custom Field
- Custom fields once created can be edited and changes can be made to the display order, group assignment or other properties..
- To locate a field, search by using field name or description.
- You can filter the fields while searching using Field Type drop down box and by choosing the field status in the View drop down box.
- You can edit each field by clicking and editing them as shown in the figure below.
- Once added, a guest custom field is active, by default. You can also deactivate a guest custom field by clicking in the Active check box next to the field.Once this is done it will not be seen in the the appointment book, webstore and mobile app. Guest fields cannot be deleted currently.
- To edit a label value click on the orange pen icon and the Enter Label Details popup will appear where the Field name and Value of the label can be edited.
To look at an online tutorial for custom fields, launch the tutorial from the Guest Custom Field page, as shown below: